Wednesday, August 17, 2016

A Tunnel To Freedom


That day I was alone. I never fully understood what happened to my brothers, I had no idea where my parents were either. Even though I was just a little girl, the definition of hiding was different in my head than what it was supposed to be on any other kid. At a young age I was able to know what death was and that to me, it was something that could happen if I wasn’t careful enough. Then I came across a group of people talking about my kind and I followed them. When I entered the Mosque I had no expectations, I realize now that those people saved my life. A couple took me and pretended that I was their daughter but they knew it wasn’t possible that everyone would believe them. That’s how I convinced them to let me take the route out to the river Seine, of course I was never alone. The group of Kabyles and Jews walked for long periods of time through the tunnels, it was exhausting but worth it. Then we saw the river and as they hid us on barges there were transporting wine barrels I smiled, I knew that from that day on, I wouldn’t have to hide anymore.


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was very worried and also a little introduced into the topic, the future of the narrator, is uncertain, and what happens is going from bad to worse, until a couple decides to take care of her and so ensure their safety
    I would helped in the same way he did this couple, that is, I would have worried about their safety and cuentad me that nothing bad happens

    ReplyDelete